What is a safe alkaline water to drink?
Most commercially available alkaline waters are considered safe to drink, and they typically have a pH level above 7. However, it’s essential to choose reputable brands and follow some general guidelines to ensure safety:
- Check the Source: If you’re concerned about the safety and quality of alkaline water, consider natural alkaline water sources like mineral springs. These are less likely to undergo extensive processing and additives.
- Read Labels: Examine the label of any bottled alkaline water you’re considering. Look for information about the source of the water, pH level, mineral content, and any added electrolytes or other ingredients.
- Choose Well-Established Brands: Opt for well-known and reputable brands that adhere to water quality and safety standards. Established brands are more likely to undergo rigorous testing and quality control.
- Look for Certifications: Some alkaline water brands may have certifications from organizations like the NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) or the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) attesting to their safety and quality.
- Avoid Excessive pH Levels: Extremely high pH levels (above 9 or 10) may not be suitable for everyone and can be harsh on the stomach. Moderation is essential, and it’s generally safe to choose alkaline waters with a pH level in the range of 7.5 to 9.
- Consider Personal Health Needs: If you have some medical conditions, consult with a professional healthcare doctor before making significant changes to your water consumption, including drinking alkaline water.
- Balance with Regular Water: While alkaline water is generally safe, it’s important not to rely exclusively on it for hydration. Balance your intake with regular, neutral-pH water to maintain overall hydration.
Remember that safety concerns with alkaline water usually arise from excessively high pH levels, low-quality or unregulated brands, or potential contaminants. As long as you choose a reputable brand, read labels, and moderate your consumption, alkaline water is generally considered safe for most people.
It’s essential to maintain a balanced and varied diet for overall health and hydration.
Read our other FAQ items.